Confession

For once I would like to go to confession

& Hear the minister say that all my sins aren't forgiven.

To have to face the facts and what I've done

Because a clean slate doesn't fix a cracked one.

Though my bridges are mended and the problems resolved

I don't want to hear that all my guilt is absolved

I want to embrace the fire set in my heart

The sins I've created, I don't want a new start

Each scar and callous on my apprenticing hands

Mark maps to messes I have grown to understand.

So when I read these psalms with my palms together,

And I pray my penance; it doesn't make it all better.

Instead I'll carry them with me, my faults and mistakes.

To learn that though God will forgive me

That's not all it takes.

Mia Mazzaferro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Age old New shoes, and the buddy system.

Ending Junior Year / Back injury (lol) / Looking Ahead

New poem: North & South (Unrelated to George Eliot)